- Posted by Faith Armstrong
- On April 11, 2019
The users of the Toshiba Laptop often face the Toshiba flash cards preventing shutdown error while shutting down or restarting the system. This error notification indicates that the flash cards are preventing to shut down the system. You can shut down the system by forcefully clicking the anyway Shut down button. But this is an uncertain as well as annoying process since the PC won’t shut down if you forget to press the button.
If you are in the same situation, i.e., if your Toshiba flash cards not allowing shutdown, then nothing to worry. There are a lot of fixes you can implement to fix this issue in a short span of time. Here, in this guideline, we are going to present some easy hacks to solve this annoying error. Just follow the guidance given in the below section, and hopefully, you will resolve this error in no time.
What is Toshiba Flash Cards
Toshiba Flash Cards is a utility applying to design all type of cards. It substitutes the ‘HotKey Utility’ that is a convenient utility for the Windows Operating System. Clicking a particular key simultaneously with the Fn key performs the function allocated to the key (hotkey operation). When you move the cursor to the end of the display or press any hotkey, then the flash cards are seen in a series at the border of the display.
When you press the key which is selected as the hotkey or select one of the cards lined up at the border of the display, then you will see the flash card. The user can choose the function from this card that is presented with the subitems. When a user chooses the subitem, then the function of the chosen item is performed. You can use the mouse or the hotkey to choose an item when it is seen in the display.
What Causes Toshiba Flash Cards Preventing Shutdown?
Before going to the solution, it’s better to know the reasons behind the Toshiba flash cards not allowing shutdown. Have a look at the below points to know the causes:
- The Toshiba Function Key program might have gone corrupt or is malfunctioning. When the Windows is going to shut down, it transmits a signal to all the applications to stop but this program does not accept.
- Some updates to the Operating System might have affected the software. Then, you need to download the newest version of the Operating System.
Amazing Tips and Tricks To Fix Toshiba Flash Cards not Allowing Shutdown
Now, you are aware of the causes of Toshiba flash cards preventing shutdown. Compare the above points with your current situations and follow the steps given below.
Method 1: Disable the Main Module of Toshiba Function Key from Starting Up
The concept of flash cards consists of selecting hotkeys that can be performed by pressing the Fn key as well as some other keys simultaneously. This can be beneficial, but sometimes it’s not entirely cooperative with some Operating System. Hence, you need to try to disable the main module of the Toshiba function key. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below. This method will prevent you from utilizing flash cards. But it should not be an issue if you never utilized them before.
- At first, you have to launch the Startup. Go to the System Configuration and then go to the Startup tab. Select the ‘Open Task Manager’ option. Or, if you prefer you can use the shortcut keys to open the Startup. Hit the Ctrl, Shift and Esc key simultaneously from the keyboard. Confirm that you go to the Startup tab of the Task Manager.
- Now, you have to find the main module entry of Toshiba Function Key from the list of softwares being opened at startup. Click on the Disable button. You will find this Disable button at the right side of the window. As a result, it will disable Toshiba flashcards on Windows 10.
- Then, you need to restart the system to save the changes.
- After restarting the system, check if the error notification still persists or not. If the error notification doesn’t appear after restarting the system, then this was the actual reason for the issue. In case the issue still persists, you need to re-enable the Toshiba flash cards.
Method 2: Uninstall the Software
Some users complained that they do not find the main module of the Toshiba Function Key option from the Startup tab of Task Manager. Hence, the next solution is to uninstall the Toshiba Function Key program completely. This should surely fix the issue but it will also block you from using the Toshiba flash cards till you install it again.
- Move the cursor to the left bottom corner of the screen and hit on the Start logo. Click on the Control Panel. You will find this at the right pane of the Start menu. Or, if you prefer you can also click on the gear-shaped Setting icon at the left bottom corner of the Start menu (for Windows 10).
- Now, you have to select the ‘View as Category’ option from the Control Panel window. You will see this option at the upper right corner of the Control Panel window. Go to the Program section, find the Toshiba Function Key and click on the ‘Uninstall a Program’ option.
- If you open the Settings application, click on the Apps. As a result, it will open a list of all the installed software on the system. It will take a few time to load the list.
- After that, you have to find the Toshiba Function Key from the Setting or Control Panel. Now, you have to find the ‘Uninstall’ option from the current window. Click on it. Then, follow the on-screen guidence to uninstall the Toshiba Function Key completely.
Method 3: Install the Latest Version of the Software
Sometimes, the latest version of the Operating System does not cooperate with the main module of the flash cards. Hence, you need to update the module to avoid such problem. To perform this, stick to the steps as follows. This process is better than the other ones, as you won’t lose the functionality of the Function key. Before going to start the steps, it’s better to uninstall the earlier version of the Operating System.
- Go to the official website of Toshiba from your default browser. Then enter the serial number along with the model number of the system. If you are unaware as to how to find these, then follow the on-screen guidence showing below the bar where you have to insert the system information.
- After typing the proper serial number of the system, you will see a list of available downloads. Before showing the list, you need to select the Operating System you are using.
- Now, you have to tick the Applications filter by going to the Filter section. Then, scroll down the list till you find the entry of the Toshiba Function Key. Select the name and click on the ‘Download’ button.
- Run the newly downloaded file and perform the on-screen directions to install the Toshiba Function Key in a proper way. Now, you have to restart the system to save the changes and check if the error still persists or not.
Method 4: Registry Fix
After performing the above methods if you still face the error, then you need to perform this final method. This method can help you to fix such issues with almost all other application that may report a similar error.
These are Steps you Should Perform to fix the Registry Entries:
- Before going to delete the registry key, you need to back up the registry to avoid other problems.
- Now, you have to launch the Registry Editor. Hit the R and Window key, both at the same time to open the Run command box. Now, type ‘regedit’ in the Run command box. As a result, it will open the Registry Editor window. Now, you need to go to the following path from the registry by going to the left pane ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.’
- Select the key. Then, you have to try and find the entry named ‘AutoEndTasks.’ If you are unable to find it, then you need to design a different String Value entry called ‘AutoEndTasks.’ To create this you need to go to the right side of the screen and right-click on it. Then, click on the ‘New’ option. There you will see the ‘String Value’ option. Right-click on the option. Then, select the option ‘Modify’ by going to the context menu.
- Now, go to the Edit window. Change the value to 1 under the data Value section. Then, click on the ‘Apply’ button.
- After that, you have to restart the system manually. Go to the Start menu and click on the Power option. Now click on the ‘Restart’ button. Then, you need to check whether the problem is gone or not.
On the Whole
In this guide, we have discussed some of the easiest solutions to fix the Toshiba Flash Cards preventing shutdown. We hope, if you successfully perform the above steps in their respective order, then it will ease up your pain. After performing the methods if you still face any kind of trouble then you need to contact an expert. Additionally, if there are any sorts of queries or any feedback from your side, please share your thoughts through the comment section provided below.