- Posted by Faith Armstrong
- On March 21, 2019
According to many users of Toshiba Satellite laptop, they are experiencing that their displays are turning black with the screen freezing all of a sudden. A majority of them has reported that the black screen problem can occur during various instances. This includes applying an important update or carrying out some installation related task on Toshiba. However, in most of the cases, the actual reason remains unknown and you get a black display without any error notification. So, you can go through this article to understand why you are facing Toshiba Satellite black screen on startup. Also, if you are looking for some effective methods to get rid of black screens during OS installation or any other activity on your laptop, keep reading this article.
Reasons : Toshiba Satellite Black Screen on Startup
If you are noticing Toshiba Satellite black screen on startup, it means something is wrong with your laptop. The reason can include issues, which can arise due to both hardware and software problems. So, let’s take a look at a few possible reasons that can cause black screen of death in Toshiba Satellite devices.
- In some Toshiba devices, there can be corrupted files or programs in the operating system. Also, there are laptops having critical technical defects in its display as well as the adapter unit.
- Sometimes, the main culprit behind this screen problem can be broken, damaged or lose cable. Also, don’t ignore a defective RAM or a graphics card, which can turn your laptop’s display black.
- On many occasions, some elements or technical components inside your Toshiba laptop can get heated up. So, at a given instant, if the internal temperature of the entire circuitry rises, it can be a serious problem. Especially, when there is no proper ventilation facility in your device to release this heat. Hence, the accumulation of too much heat inside your laptop’s body can trigger a black screen issue.
- Also, you can check for some recent hardware changes or any new software installation on your Toshiba Satellite device. As installing a corrupted program can cause a system failure and display a black screen.
How to Fix Toshiba Laptop Black Screen on Windows 10?
Before jumping into the technical fixes to resolve the Toshiba Satellite black screen issue, you can go through this information. As discussed in the above section, in the article, many users can experience a black screen while installing Windows 10. Also, a majority of users are facing the display problem after applying Windows 10 setup. So, in both these cases, you need to understand the underlying causes that can lead to black screen error. This, in turn, will help you to try the best possible method to troubleshoot dark screen issue on your Toshiba laptop.
When Windows 10 Setup is going on in your Toshiba Satellite:
To try out this solution, you must ensure that the black screen error is showing up during the Windows 10 installation for the first time. It can also take place during upgrading to Windows 10 from an older version. If this is the case, migrating from a large data file can delay the installation process up to several hours. Hence, you won’t be able to view anything on the display other than the black screen and until the upgradation is complete.
Now, in order to resolve this issue, you need to examine hard drive activity closely on your Toshiba laptop. The corresponding LED can confirm whether the device is still working or completely shut down. So, if you see the LED blinking, it is a clear indication that Windows 10 setup is going on. In case, you observe that it’s taking too much time, the installation can be stuck on some level.
When Windows 10 Installation get stuck on your Toshiba Laptop:
In some cases, you will find that Toshiba laptop screen not working as the setup process is paused due to unknown reasons. However, you can still apply a few steps to remove the black screen from your Toshiba Satellite.
- First, you will have to turn Off your laptop completely by following proper steps to shut it down. In case, your system refused to shut down, you can press the Power button and hold it for 10-15 seconds.
- As your device shuts down, remove the Ethernet cable or wireless adapter to disconnect your PC/laptop from the internet. You can check out some of the benefits to turn Off LAN connection before doing the setup for Windows 10.
- Hence, after removing all the important peripherals from your laptop, you will have to disconnect the remaining hardware. However, keep the devices like keyboard and mouse connected to your Toshiba device. Make sure to remove any phone charging cable, gaming controllers or external hard drive plugged into the system.
- Thereafter, take out the power cord from your PC and also disconnect it from the electrical outlet. If you are getting installation issues on Toshiba laptop, you will have to remove the battery also. Then, wait for around 30-50 seconds and reconnect the power cord, and external peripherals into your device.
- If your Toshiba laptop screen won’t turn on due to overheating issues, it is recommended to wait for an hour before plugging in the power cable, battery and other external devices. According to many users, this would help to minimize the overheating problem in the Toshiba Satellite.
- Finally, restart your Windows 10 installation that was earlier stuck due to a black screen on your laptop.
Solutions to Some Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Black Screen Issue on Toshiba Satellite
To apply the Toshiba laptop troubleshooting black screen methods, you need to know the classification of this error. This is why, the following section will focus on some of the common questions for fixing black screen in their Toshiba laptops.
When the Toshiba Laptop Turns On but no Display on Screen:
If you notice that your laptop doesn’t show anything on the screen even after turning On, you can try this fix. So, you need to discharge your Toshiba Satellite completely in order to retain the display properties in it. Hence, long-press the Start button and it will switch Off your device.
Then, remove the battery from it and long-press your laptop’s Start button once again after waiting for at least 60 seconds. As soon as you release the tab of start, plug the laptop into a power source.
Finally, hit the Start button and hopefully, this time the display will show up without any black screen error. So, if you don’t observe Toshiba Satellite black screen on startup after applying this method, switch Off the device and put back the battery. Some devices may require the above steps repeatedly in order to resolve the display issue.
Fix Toshiba Laptop Black Screen with the help of Keyboard/Keypad:
On some Toshiba laptop models, you can use certain keyboard keys to resolve the black screen problem. So, let’s discuss the two most effective methods for Toshiba laptop troubleshooting black screen.
Method 1: Use F8, Power and Shift Keys
To try this solution, you need to press the Power button of your Toshiba laptop and switch it Off. Thereafter, remove the battery from its back and long-press the Power switch for 60 seconds. Then, insert the battery into your laptop and long-press the keys of Power, F8 and Shift on the keypad. Wait for around 60 seconds and see if the Toshiba laptop turns on normally.
Method 2: Utilize F5, Power and Function Key
Another way to resolve the error of black screen from your Toshiba Satellite is by applying this method. Here, you need to turn Off your laptop and then long-press the Power button for nearly 60 seconds. After that, press and hold the function (Fn) key, F5 and Power button altogether for around 50-60 seconds. You can repeat this process a few more times and check if the laptop is still showing the black screen.
In case, you are getting Toshiba Satellite black screen on startup even after trying the above fixes, it is time to replace the screen entirely. Otherwise, you can also share your experience in the feedback box below.